Yesterday, we had a discussion in a health coach group and, in the comments, it quickly escalated to spot reduction jokes!
Spot reduction is when you want to focus on ONE specific muscle thinking it will lead to weight loss in THAT particular area. Ex: Abs. Thinking that doing ''a bunch'' of sit-ups will lead to a 6-pack without doing any other type of physical or nutritional changes.
When you want toned abs, you need to focus on every other muscle in your body! Why? -
- Bigger muscles boost your metabolism. Think: Squats.
- Doing 2-in-1 moves will burn more calories. Well, you are working more muscles at the same time this way. Think: Squat + Shoulder press.
- Think about it! Do you really want tones abs with a side of jelly arms?? REALLY? I didn't think so!
Spot reduction is a myth!
Want great abs with your summer body?
- Summer is 10 days away..it's a little late!
- Summer body is a body during summer!
- It starts in the kicthen! Abs are 80% nutrition and 20% exercise. You can't out-exercise a bad diet..and you can't just do a bunch of sit-ups!
With all that being said, I still want to give you a little something for trying. Here are my top 5 tips to help give you a ''toned'' look (PSST: Toned means muscles by the way..so, if you want to look toned you need to build up your muscles. Cardio only won't do that for you! Just sayin'!)
- Fill HALF of your plate with veggies AT EVERY MEAL! How? Add a handful of spinach to your morning shake or to your scrambled eggs. Use romain lettuce instead of tortillas for your wraps at lunch and for supper, make some roasted veggies as a side dish.
- Drink more water! Your body needs it to get rid of the bad stuff that's floating around.
- Workout in the morning. It will boost your metabolism for the whole day! No need to workout for hours either, look for HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) workouts. They are a great mix of cardio and strength and won't take more than 20 minutes. Trust me, that's more than enough!
- Don't forget your protein! You don't need to invest in protein powders, but make sure you don't skip on this. Proteins helps the muscles heal & ''tone''. Think lean chicken or tuna...MMMmmm!
- Rest! You might be thinking ''I have 10 days, let's do this!'' Not so much. Your body needs some breaks here and there to regenerate and heal (a workout will actually do tiny tears to your muscles. You need to let your body rest and heal so you don't hurt yourself.) You can use Sunday as your rest day or follow my routine..
Monday: workout / Tuesday: Yoga / Wednesday: workout / Thursday: Yoga / Friday: workout / Saturday: HIIT / Sunday: REST!
There you have it! We busted the myth of spot reduction and I offered much better tips instead!
Want a little extra support and motivation to get you going? Join the Team Journey to Health! It's a community for busy moms who want to begin their Journey to Health!
There are daily prompts, special videos and prizes to be won!
Join the TEAM by clicking HERE (or on the image)
See you there!